Goto is a type of rice porridge with innards of either pig or cow. This Special Goto Recipe uses both ox tripe and pig intestine. Goto has been famous in the Philippines because it is affordable and can easily satisfy hunger. This has also been a breakfast favorite and a rainy day comfort food.
The most important thing that you should remember before cooking this special goto is to clean the ox tripe and pig intestine thoroughly. If you can wash it several times until the pungent smell is gone, that is the best. Also, we will need to boil them for a couple of hours or more until the texture is soft enough for us to chew – the softer, the better.
When making any type of rice porridge, some people think that they need to add more rice. Adding more rice will result in adding more water later on. This will affect the volume of the other ingredients too. Make sure that you start with just 1 cup of rice (good for 3 to 4 persons) and work your way to more if you think that this is not enough. The ratio of the ingredients below is perfect for 3 to 4 persons.
Goto is best served with egg, green onions, toasted garlic, and chicharon. I also love to have it with a little fish sauce and calamansi (or lemon).
Also checkout our Filipino Goto Recipe.
Try this Special Goto Recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 lb. ox tripe, cleaned
- 1 lb. pig large intestine, cleaned
- 4 eggs, boiled and shelled
- 5 cups water (for cooking)
- 6 cups water (for boiling)
- 2 teaspoons beef powder or 1 beef cube
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 head toasted garlic
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup crushed chicharon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil 6 cups of water in a deep cooking pot.
- Add the ox tripe, pig intestine, and 1 teaspoon salt. Boil for 2 to 3 hours or until soft. Add water as needed. Remove the tripe and intestine from the pot to cool down and then slice into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Saute the onion, ginger, and garlic.
- Once the onion is soft, add the tripe and intestine. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beef powder( or cube), turmeric powder, and garlic powder.
- Pour-in the water. Stir and let boil.
- Add the rice. Allow the water to boil once more and then adjust the heat between low to medium. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until the desired texture is achieved. Add water if needed and stir every 5 minutes or so to prevent the rice from sticking on the pan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Add egg and top with green onions, toasted garlic, and crushed chicharon.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!