This Ginataang Tilapia Recipe is really yummy. Ginataan (or guinataan) is a Filipino cooking method that means “cooked in coconut milk”. Ginataang Tilapia is a dish where Tilapia (a fish belonging to the tilapiine cichlid tribe) is cooked in coconut milk (or cream) and served with banana peppers.
This method is popularized by the Bicolanos, the fifth-largest Filipino ethnolinguistic group that lives in the southern islands of Luzon. There are many other ingredients that can be cooked with Coconut milk but my taste buds are craving for Ginataang Tilapia as of the moment. I can’t wait to put my hands on this yummy fish.
How to Cook Ginataang Tilapia
It is easy to cook ginataang tilapia. As I always say, do not get intimidated on the pictures because cooking this dish is much simple than you think. We also have the cooking video for you to use as a guide so that you won’t get lost or confused in the process.
Start by heating oil in a wide pan. The next step is to saute the onion, ginger, and garlic. You can throw all the ingredient on the pan at the same time, or you can add it one after the other — what matters here is that these spices gets cooked in the pan until the onion softens.
Seeing the soft onion is your queue to add the fish sauce, pepper, and coconut cream (you can also use coconut milk). You just need to ensure that all the ingredients are well blended, so you will need to gradually stir it using a kitchen spoon.
Try this Delicious Ginataang Tilapia Recipe and let me know what you think.
Ginataang Tilapia Recipe
This is a recipe for tilapia cooked in coconut milk.
- 2 lbs tilapia cleaned (about 1 kilo)
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 piece medium onion finely sliced
- 1 knob ginger cut into strips
- 1-2 pieces banana pepper or finger chili
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 4 pieces red chilli pepper optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil
- Once the onion become soft, add the fish sauce and ground black pepper. Stir.
- Pour in the coconut cream and stir. Let boil and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the banana pepper and tilapia. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes. Add some water if needed.
- Put-in the red chillies. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer for about a minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve Hot. Share and Enjoy!