Bilo-bilo are glutinous rice balls made from powdered glutinous rice and water. Although this might look simple, bilo-bilo is an important ingredient in Filipino desserts such as Ginataang Bilo-bilo, Ginataang Halo-halo, and Baked Bilo-bilo in Coconut Cream sauce.
If you want to learn how to make bilo-bilo, here are the ingredients that you need to have and the steps that you need to follow:
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- ½ cup water
- Combine glutinous rice flour and water.
- Mix the mixture thoroughly. A soft yet sticky mixture should be formed.
- Scoop about 1½ to 2 teaspoons of the mixture and roll it into a ball shaped figure using your hands. Tip: Try to wet your hands a little to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Place the mixture in a plate or any flat container and do the same steps until all the mixture is used up.
- Use as ingredient for Filipino Dessert recipes that require them. You can also cover the container and freeze the glutinous rice balls for future use.