Tortilla Espanola or Potato Omelet is a quick and easy egg dish made with potatoes, eggs, and onion. This can either be served for breakfast, brunch, as an appetizer, or even light dinner.
A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine sent me a message on Facebook (by the way, Here is the link to like Panlasang Pinoy in FB) requesting for a potato omelet video. Apparently, her son Patrick regularly follows our posts and enjoys watching all of our videos. Since Patrick will be celebrating his birthday soon (Happy Birthday!!!), my friend was hoping if I can shoot and publish a cooking video of her son’s favorite food. Without further ado, here it is.
Oh, by the way, you can always add bell pepper, chorizo, and ham if you want variations.
Try this Tortilla Espanola Recipe and let us know what you think.
5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
6 pieces raw eggs
2 cups olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Watch the cooking video:
1. Mix potatoes and onion in a large bowl.
2. Add 1 tablespoon salt then mix thoroughly until well distributed. Set aside.
3. Heat a cooking pot and pour-in olive oil.
4. When the oil is hot enough, fry the potatoes and onion using medium heat. This should take between 7 to 10 minutes. Do not brown the potatoes.
5. Remove the potatoes from the cooking pot, turn off heat, and then drain excess oil. Let the fried potatoes cool for a few minutes.
6. Combine the remaining salt with the eggs then beat.
7. Add the cooked potato in the beaten egg mixture then stir to distribute.
8. Heat an 8 to 10 inches non-stick pan and pour-in about 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. You may utilize the olive oil used to fry the potatoes.
9. When the oil is hot enough, pour-in the eggs and potato mixture. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes in low to medium heat. Cooking time may vary, it is recommended to manually check the omelet to prevent burns.
10. Flip the omelet by placing a wide plate on top of the pan and turn the pan over in a way that the plate catches the omelet.
11. Place the pan back on the stove and gently push the omelet from the plate to the pan. Cook until the other side is done.
12. Turn off heat and transfer the omelet to a serving plate.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes
13. Serve with baguette or toasted bread.
14. Share and enjoy!