Making your own Spaghetti with Meat Sauce might not sound that easy. Before you get intimidated with the idea, let me tell you that you can make your own spaghetti even if you have little or no cooking experience. Please open your mind and believe that you can do it — allow me to teach you how to make spaghetti with meat sauce. Use this recipe and the instructional video below as a guide.
How to Make Spaghetti: Making spaghetti starts with cooking the noodles. I always suggest that you follow the instructions in cooking the spaghetti noodles from the package because not all noodles are created the same. What we want to achieve (regardless of the brand of noodles) is the perfect al dente spaghetti. Make sure that the noodles are not undercooked because it will not be pleasant to eat. You will know that spaghetti is undercooked if the inner part is still somewhat hard after you bite. A quick solution here is to continue to cook the spaghetti for a few more minutes. On the other hand, if the spaghetti gets overcooked, try to wash the noodles with cold water right away. This will stop the cooking process and it can also prevent the spaghetti from being soggy. It is also a good idea to add a couple teaspoons of salt in the boiling water before putting-in the spaghetti. The salt will be absorbed by the noodles giving it additional flavor.
How to Make Spaghetti Meat Sauce: The meaty spaghetti sauce will give life to your spaghetti dish. I always opt for the leanest possible ground beef (90% lean) and I use tomato puree every time I make traditional spaghetti. The lean meat means that the beef is low in fat, which in turn can lead to lower cholesterol. The tomato puree has a thicker consistency compared to tomato sauce and has bolder flavor. Always start to make the meat sauce by browning the beef and add the rest of the ingredients afterwards. Make sure that you give enough time for the sauce to simmer so that the flavor from the meat and tomato will be fully extracted.
I hope that you can find this How to Make Spaghetti with Meat Sauce post and the accompanying video useful. Have a great day!
- 1½ lbs ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles
- 3 cups tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- ½ cup minced carrots
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the water and arrange in a serving plate. Set aside.
- Start to make the meat by browning the beef. Do this by placing the meat in a deep pan. Turn-on the heat to medium. Cook the beef until brown while stirring once in awhile.
- Add-in the olive oil, garlic, onion, and carrots. Stir and cook until the onion turns soft.
- Pour-in the tomato puree. Stir and let boil. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add water if the sauce starts to reduce.
- Remove the cover and put the heat back to medium. Add the oregano, thyme, basil, salt, and ground back pepper. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Put-in the tomato pasta. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Top the spaghetti meat sauce over the cooked spaghetti noodles. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!