This adobong pusit sa gata was the result of over a week of craving for adobong pusit. I went to the Filipino supermarket the other day to get the ingredients. I noticed that the coconut milk (in can) was on sale, so I grabbed more that I needed for the week. The dish that I was yearning for was enhanced a bit with coconut milk. It worked well and we all enjoyed it.
I liked how creamy and tasty this dish was. The squid is flavorful enough to make the dish tasty, but the garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar helped to make it taste better. The coconut milk was responsible for its creaminess.
Squid is one of the ingredients that should not be overcooked. This was the reason why I removed the squid after partially sautéing it in garlic. The flavor of the squid remained in the pot and it was blending with the coconut milk and other seasonings as I reduced the sauce. If you will jump into the recipe below, you’ll see that the squid was added back towards the end of the cooking process. At this point, the sauce was already thick and creamy. It needed a little bit of flavor though and the few minutes of cooking the squid in it was able to compensate for the need.
I am excited to hear how you cook your adobong pusit sa gata. I understand that we all have different ways in cooking this dish. Let me know how you do it by commenting below. Talk to you soon.
Try this Adobong Pusit sa Gata recipe. Let me know what you think.
Adobong Pusit sa Gata
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Add the garlic. Cook until it turns light brown.
- Stir the squid into the pot. Partially cook the squid for 2 minutes. Remove the squid from the pot and put in a clean plate. Set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pot. Let boil.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, and ground black pepper. Cover and cook until the liquid reduces to half.
- Add the squid back into the pot and then pour-in 1 teaspoon of fish sauce. Cover and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Taste to see if the saltiness is just about right. You can add a tablespoon more of fish sauce if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with warm rice.
- Share and enjoy!