Basil pesto is a fresh tasting sauce made from fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and cheese. This sauce is best for pasta, bread, and it even makes a good topping for chicken and pork dishes.
This Basil Pesto recipe is really good; it makes use of ingredients that are readily available in your local supermarket and it is easy to make. I love to have this sauce over pasta and baked chicken. Sometimes, I enjoy it topped over warm garlic bread.
The easiest way to make pesto is to use a food processor. However, the manual way of using mortar and pestle to crush and grind the ingredients can still be done. Sometimes I use the old fashioned way when I have time to spare.
Aside from olive oil, sunflower oil can also be consumed to make basil pesto. I think that this is a matter of preference. I suggest that you try this basic recipe first before you mix and match, until you figure out what you like best. Try this to make chicken pesto pasta.
Try this Basil Pesto Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Cover and secure.
- Process the ingredients until a thick paste is formed.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Serve as a sauce on your favorite pasta or chicken dishes.