Beef Bicol Express is the beef version of the popular Bicol express dish. The latter uses pork (usually pork belly) as the main ingredient. I got some gorgeous fresh beef chuck from the supermarket and I decided to consume it for this dish. I was attracted with the nice looking marbled fat. This adds a nice flavor to the meat and maintains moisture
I know that Bicol Express is not the healthiest dish around. However, sometimes we all need to enjoy good food as long as we consume it moderately.
One of the challenges in using beef chuck is that it is not as tender as tenderloin or sirloin. Sometimes it can be tough. A good approach to quickly tenderize beef chuck is to slice these into small cubes. This will enable the meat be cooked quickly. It will also take less time to to tenderize it.
Let’s now talk about chili pepper. This is an essential ingredient that provides spice or “hotness” to our dish. It is ideal to use bird’s eye chili or “siling labuyo”, but feel free to use any type of chili pepper depending on availability and preference. Serrano and finger chili are less spicy compared to Jalapeno, Habanero, and Thai Chili. I think that Serrano pepper is perfect for those who want low to medium level heat.
Have you tried other versions of Bicol express lately? I suggest that you take a look at this Pork Chop Bicol Express Recipe. This is one of my easy and simple take to this amazing dish. You can also browse all our Bicol Express Recipe compilation.
Try this Beef Bicol Express Recipe. Let me know what you think!
Beef Bicol Express
- 2 lbs. beef chuck cubed
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/3 cup shrimp paste bagoong alamang
- 4 to 6 pieces Serrano pepper sliced diagonally
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Sauté the garlic, ginger and onion
- Once the onion becomes soft, add the shrimp paste. Stir.
- Put-in the beef. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until medium brown.
- Pour-in the coconut milk. Stir. You can also add some of the pepper, if desired. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for 40 minutes or until the beef is tender. Add water as needed.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve. Share and enjoy!