This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Braised Collard Greens is a delicious and tasty vegetable dish that you can enjoy for dinner. This involves Collard greens, which is a type of green vegetable with loose leaves. It has a tough texture and requires longer cooking time to be tender.
This Braised Collard Greens recipe is a perfect way to tenderize the vegetable and make it appealing to the palate. The turkey bacon and other ingredients work hand-in-hand to improve the flavor and make this vegetable dish stand-out.
I like to eat this dish along with fried or baked dishes such as oven baked chicken or fried pork chops. The taste of Braise Collard Greens compliments any roast or baked main dish that you serve with it.
Try this Braised Collard Greens recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 3 lbs fresh collard greens stems removed and chopped
- ½ lb. bacon. sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons cane or white vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground back pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a wide casserole.
- When the oil is hot, add the bacon. Cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in the garlic and onion. Continue to cook until the onion becomes soft.
- Pour-in the chicken broth and water. Let boil.
- Add the molasses, vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir.
- Gradually add the collard greens while pushing down with a spoon. Cover and simmer for 80 minutes or until the greens are tender. Make sure to stir every 15 minutes. Note: add water as necessary.
- Remove the cover to let the excess liquid evaporate.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!