Bulalugaw is a rice porridge dish composed of tenderized beef shanks, boiled eggs, and sweet corn. It is delicious and best enjoyed during cold weather.
How to Cook Bulalugaw
Making your own bulalo rice porridge at home can be quick and easy as long as you have the proper equipment. I am using a pressure cooker for this recipe in order to prepare the beef shank as fast as possible. We want it tender and intact. For this reason, I pressure cook it for around 20 minutes, after adding water and salt to the beef. Note: a pressure cooker can be handy. It helps you tenderize the beef fast.
Once the beef is nice and tender, set it aside. I usually place it in a covered bowl. Otherwise, it will dry up if left uncovered. The beef broth is needed to make the rice porridge.
Start to cook the porridge by browning garlic in a cooking pot. Add onion and then cook until it softens. Add uncooked rice. I usually saute it with the garlic and onion for less than a minute.
We will need to add the beef stock next along with water. Pour the liquids into the pot. Let it boil, and then add a piece of Knorr Beef Cube. This ingredient helps provide that solid beef flavor to the dish. Continue to cook the rice porridge until the texture thickens. Season with fish sauce and ground pepper.
Serve it by arranging the beef shank in a bowl. Top with rice porridge , boiled egg, and sweet corn. Garnish with roasted garlic and scallions. Serve hot with patis and calamansi.
Try this recipe for bulalugaw. Please don’t forget to give me your feedback afterwards.
- 2 lbs beef shank
- 1 piece Knorr Beef Cube
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 piece sweet corn
- 3/4 cup scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 1 head garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup chicharon crushed
- 3 pieces egg boiled
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fish sauce and ground white pepper to taste
- Arrange beef shank in a pressure cooker. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt. Pour 2 ½ cups water. Cover and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Set the tenderized beef shank aside. Save the beef stock for later.
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in some cooking oil. Add the garlic immediately. Slowly brown the garlic as the oil heats up.
- Once the garlic starts to brown, add onion. Saute until soft.
- Add rice. Saute for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Pour-in beef stock. Stir. Add water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Beef Cube. Stir. Continue to cook while stirring every few minutes until the porridge thickens. Note: add more water if needed.
- Add sweet corn. Cook for 12 minutes.
- Season with patis and ground black pepper.
- Arrange the tenderized beef shank in a bowl. Pour rice porridge (lugaw) and top with boiled eggs and sweet corn. Garnish with chopped scallions, crushed pork cracklings (chicharon), and roasted garlic. Serve with a dip of fish sauce and calamansi.
- Share and enjoy!