Chicken Bicol Express is the chicken version of the popular Filipino Bicol Express dish. This recipe makes use of boneless chicken breast, which is lower in fat and cholesterol compared to pork. It also has high protein content.
Now, you can easily cook this version of Bicol express in the comfort of your own kitchen. Serve it during special occasions, or even on regular days.
How to Cook Chicken Bicol Express
Cooking this dish is quick and easy. The recipe suggests sautéing the chicken with onion, garlic, and ginger. This helps provide more flavor to the dish.
Start by heating oil in a cooking pot, and then saute the garlic first. It will be great if you can cook the garlic until it turns light brown. It will give the dish that nice toasted garlic flavor. Add onion immediately and saute with the ginger until onion softens. Put the chicken breast slices into the pot along with some Thai chili. Cook until the chicken turns light brown.
Coconut milk is an essential ingredient for any Bicol express dish. It helps make it rich and creamy. Pour the coconut milk into the pot and stir. Let it boil. Aside from the coconut milk, coconut cream can also be used.
Add Knorr Chicken Cube for that solid chicken flavor. Continue to cook using low to medium heat until the liquid reduces to half. Put the bagoong alamang (fermented shrimp paste) and long green peppers into the pot and stir until all ingredients are well blended. You can also use salted krill (small shrimp), which is locally referred to as “Balao” to make the dish more authentic.
This dish is best served with warm white rice. I love it when it is extra spicy.
Try this quick and easy Chicken Bicol Express Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Chicken Bicol Express
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast sliced
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 pieces long green pepper sliced
- 5 pieces Thai chili pepper chopped
- 1 thumb ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon bagoong alamang
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Once the onion softens, add chicken and chili peppers. Stir and cook until chicken turns light brown.
- Pour-in coconut milk. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube. Continue to cook between low to medium heat until the coconut milk reduces to half.
- Add bagoong alamang and log green peppers. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!