This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Your lunch or dinner will be more interesting when you make Chicken Enchilada Casserole. This quick and easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe will show you how it’s done in the simplest way possible.
I like to make Chicken Enchilada Casserole instead or regular (individual) chicken enchiladas when I have other things to do. I like the idea that I can leave the Chicken Enchilada Casserole in the oven to bake while I complete my other tasks. I always enjoy the outcome of this recipe – I am sure that you will love it too.
Before you proceed there are some things that I need to clarify. I prepared the cooked shredded chicken in this Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe by boiling almost a pound of boneless and skinless chicken breast for 30 minutes. Once the chicken is completely cooked. I drain the water and let the chicken cool down. It will be easier to shred the chicken using your hands when it is not that hot. As for the other ingredients, I got them all straight from the grocery to save some time.
In my opinion, Chicken Enchilada Casserole is even better with hot sauce. You can add some hot sauce with your sliced portion of chicken enchilada while it is still hot. My favorite brand of hot sauce for chicken enchilada casserole is Frank’s Red hot — this is also the brand that I use when making Buffalo Chicken Wings and the wing sauce.
Try this Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe. Enjoy!
- 12 pieces flour tortilla
- 29 ounces enchilada sauce
- 3/4 lb. cooked shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1 16 oz. can refried beans
- 2 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the ground cumin with the shredded chicken. Mix well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, scoop around 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce and pour in a baking dish. Spread the sauce all over the dish.
- Lay four pieces of flour tortilla over the enchilada sauce. Spread some refried beans and sour cream over the tortilla. Arrange half of the shredded chicken on top and then top with cheese and enchilada sauce.
- Make the next layer by arranging four pieces of flour tortilla on top of the enchilada sauce. Do the same step as in the first layer by spreading refried beans and sour cream over the tortillas. Top with the remaining chicken. Add cheese and enchilada sauce on top.
- Make the last layer by arranging the last 4 flour tortilla pieces over the enchilada sauce. Spread the remaining refried beans, sour cream, and enchilada sauce. Top with Monterey jack cheese.
- Bake the Chicken Enchilada Casserole for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!