This is my version of Corned Beef Lomi, Batangas Style. I made the soup extra thick, similar to most of the versions that I tried every time I visit Batangas. It is topped with meatballs , boiled egg, and chicharon.
This dish is made special by the ingredient that I used for the meatball, canned corned beef.
I have always enjoyed eating lomi at a young age. My mom would always cook oriental style lomi at home. I also like the pork and chicken lomi that I tasted during my food adventures. After marrying my wife who is a Batangueña, I started to discover and enjoy her province’s version of this noodle soup. Consider this recipe as a simple version of it.
Batangas style lomi has its own identity. The soup should be thick and there should be an array of toppings ranging from meatballs, lumpiang shanghai, sauteed pig’s liver, and many more. As mentioned, this rendition is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.
How to Cook Corned Beef Lomi Batangas Style
I started by making the meatballs. I used three quarters of corned beef in can (which is around 9 oz.) and added some minced carrot to incorporate additional nutrients. The seasoning used are simply salt and ground black pepper. I also added binder ingredients such as egg and all-purpose flour to hold everything together. Just mix all these ingredients together and mold it to a spherical figure. Scoop around 1 1/2 tablespoons for proper portioning. Fry the meatballs in low heat until golden brown and then set aside.
Start to cook the noodle soup by sautéing garlic until it starts to brown. Add onion and cook until soft. Don’t forget that there are still some corned beef left in the can (we only used 3/4 for the meatball). Add the remaining corned beef and saute for 1 minute.
The next thing to do is add water to make the soup. Let it boil and add a piece of Knorr Beef Cube. This helps make the soup flavorful. Add the fresh noodles next. Always remember to wash fresh noodles before cooking. It takes only 5 minutes to cook the noodles completely.
One the noodles are done, thicken the soup by adding a slurry. This refers to cornstarch and water. Simply combine both ingredients and pour in the pot. Quickly stir and continue cooking until the soup thickens. You can also add half of the fried meatballs at this point. Save the rest as topping.
Finish the noodle soup by cracking a piece of egg into the pot and quickly stir. This makes the broth thicker. Season with salt and pepper and then top with boiled egg, chicharon, chopped green onion, and remaining meatballs.
Try this yummy Corned Beef Lomi Recipe. Happy cooking!
Corned Beef Lomi Batangas Style
- 12 ounces canned corned beef
- 1 piece Knorr Beef Cube
- 12 ounces fresh noodles
- 1 piece carrot minced
- 2 pieces eggs raw
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ cup green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 pieces eggs boiled
- 1 cup chicharon
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Make the meatballs by combining ¾ the amount of the corned beef, carrot, salt, ground black pepper, and 1-piece cracked egg in a bowl. Mix well. Gradually add all-purpose flour and continue mixing until all ingredients are well blended.
- Heat oil in pan. Scoop 1 ½ tablespoon of mixture and mold into a ball-shaped figure. Fry in low heat for 1 ½ minutes per side. Remove from the pan and transfer to a clean plate. Set aside.
- Transfer the remaining oil on a pot. Heat and then sauté garlic until it starts to brown. Add onion and continue cooking until the later softens.
- Add remaining corned beef from the can. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour water into pot. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Beef Cube. Stir. Pour-in soy sauce and add fresh noodles. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and ½ cup water. Mix well. Pour the mixture into the pot. Stir until the soup thickens.
- Crack a piece of egg into the pot. Quickly stir and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add fried meatballs and season with salt and ground black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with meatballs, boiled egg, chicharron, and chopped green onions.
- Serve warm. Share and enjoy!