Crispy Shrimp Adobo Recipe
This Crispy Shrimp Adobo Recipe or Crispy Adobong Hipon is my take in making a unique Shrimp Adobo dish. I got the inspiration from our Nilasing na Hipon Recipe, which I think is really good. Instead of cooking the shrimp directly with vinegar and soy sauce, I used these seasonings as a marinade along with…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Crispy Shrimp Adobo Recipe or Crispy Adobong Hipon is my take in making a unique Shrimp Adobo dish. I got the inspiration from our Nilasing na Hipon Recipe, which I think is really good.
Instead of cooking the shrimp directly with vinegar and soy sauce, I used these seasonings as a marinade along with some minced garlic and ground black pepper. All that we need is to marinate the shrimp long enough to absorb the flavor. I tried using a mixture of AP flour and cornstarch to make the shrimp crispy when fried. I order to infuse the flavor and aroma of dried bay leaves and pepper to our dish, I devised a technique to capture the bay leaf and pepper flavors in the oil that we will use to fry our Crispy Shrimp Adobo. Actually, the technique is simple, all you need to do is put the bay leaves and whole pepper corn in the hot oil or simply deep frying them before you do the shrimp. The entire flavor will be released in the oil and the shrimp will catch them later on.
In this Shrimp Adobo Recipe, I used white wine vinegar and low sodium soy sauce because I want the flavor to be less intense. Do not worry if you don’t have these ingredients on hand because you can always use dark soy sauce and white vinegar to cook this dish.
This delicious Crispy Shrimp Adobo or Crispy Adobong Hipon can be eaten as a main dish with rice or simply as a pulutan. I find it best when dipped in an Adobo dipping sauce. This sauce is composed of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and pepper.
Try this Crispy Shrimp Adobo Recipe (Adobong Hipon) and let me know what you think.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Crispy Shrimp Adobo Recipe
- 1 lb. shrimp with head intact
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or rum
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 5 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- Combine vinegar, rum, minced garlic, and soy sauce, and ground black pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Combine AP flour and cornstarch. Mix well and then set aside.
- Put the shrimp in the same bowl. Marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Add the dried bay leaves and whole peppercorn in the hot oil.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and then dredge in the flour and cornstarch mixture.
- Deep fry the shrimp for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the texture becomes crisp.
- Arrange in a serving plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with adobo dipping sauce (which is 2 parts vinegar and 1 part soy sauce with whole peppercorn and minced garlic). Share and enjoy!
Leave a Comment