This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Drunken Mussels makes a good appetizer. This is best eaten with warm toast bread or with croutons. I tried to make the recipe as simple as possible so that you can follow easily. So, what makes the mussels drunk? It’s white wine.
The mussels are cooked in white wine along with butter and garlic. This can also be made using lager beer. When using beer, try to use lager because this kind of beer is light and not bitter, compared to IPA and the other bolder types. It will also be great if you have lime or lemons to squeeze over the mussels. This will give your drunken mussels a fresh taste.
There are some of you who might be asking about the alcohol content of this dish. There is no alcohol in this dish or it was decreased to a very little amount because alcohol evaporates quickly during the cooking process leaving the flavor of the wine behind.
Cheers to good food! Keep on cooking my friends.
Try this yummy Drunken Mussels Recipe. Send me your feedback.
- 2 1/2 lbs. mussels cleaned
- 2 cups white wine Pinot Grigio
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lime wedged
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Once the butter melts and starts to get hot, add the garlic. Continue to cook in low to medium heat until the garlic turns light brown. Do not cook in high heat because the butter can get burnt.
- Pour-in the white wine. Let boil. Continue to cook and liquid evaporate until it reduces to half.
- Add the mussels. Stir. Cover and cook for 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Add salt and chopped parsley. Stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with lime wedges.
- Share and enjoy.