This Grilled Mussels Recipe makes a perfect seafood appetizer for many reasons. To name a few, it is delicious, easy to prepare, and budget friendly. I am used to do grilled mussels with butter, garlic, and cheese. I thought that it was the best thing that grilled (or baked) mussels can be – I just realized that this grilled mussels recipe is promising and as good as what I use to have.
While Grilled mussels require less cooking time, it is important that we clean them well before serving. This means scrubbing the shell and removing the hair like thing inside them – that hair is called the beard. I clean the mussels by using a brush or a scouring pad. The beard can be removed after the mussels are opened. The easiest way of opening them is by boiling. The shell automatically opens after the mussels boil for a few minutes. You can remove the beard on each piece once the temperature goes down.
I recommend this grilled mussels recipe to everyone. I find it great with white wine. I also love to eat it with my favorite soda crackers. Have you tried this Grilled Mussels Recipe yet?
Try this Grilled Mussels Recipe. Enjoy!
Grilled Mussels Recipe
- 1 lb. mussels
- 1 medium plum tomato diced
- 1 large yellow onion minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Clean the mussels and boil in 2 cups of water for at least 2 to 5 minutes.
- Let the mussels cool. Drain and remove the beard. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Sauté the onion until soft
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and tomato paste. Sauté for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile combine breadcrumbs, parsley, mint, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Scoop the sautéed onion, garlic, and tomato mixture and arrange on top of the mussels. Add the breadcrumbs mixture above.
- Heat the grill and grill the mussels for 5 to 7 minutes in medium heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve as an appetizer.
- Share and enjoy!