Deep Fried Mussel
There are many delicious ways to cook mussels. You can bake them, grill them, boil them, and deep fry them like what we are doing now – Deep Fried Mussels. Cooking deep fried mussel is easy. However, you should ensure that the mussels are cleaned and the mussel meats are removed from the shell before…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
There are many delicious ways to cook mussels. You can bake them, grill them, boil them, and deep fry them like what we are doing now – Deep Fried Mussels.
Cooking deep fried mussel is easy. However, you should ensure that the mussels are cleaned and the mussel meats are removed from the shell before cooking. This process can take a while to do, but this deep fried mussel recipe is worth the effort and time.
In order for the process to be easier, I tried looking for frozen mussel meat in the grocery store for this deep fried mussel. Good thing I was able to find Kiwi mussel meat. These were already cleaned and removed from the shells. All I needed to do was to thaw and cook these.
I started out by washing the mussel meat and removing the hair-like part at the center. Try sprinkling some salt and pepper and let it stand for 30 minutes. This will add flavor to the meat. The batter is so easy to make. All I did was to combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mixed it using a wire whisk. Of course, you can use an electric or stand mixer to quickly finish the job.
Take note that you will need to dredge the coated mussel meat in flour before frying them. There is a possibility that the mussel meats can stick to each other when fried at the same time. The extra flour makes the batter less sticky and prevents the pieces from sticking to each other.
If you are a fan of mussel, take some time to take a look at our mussel recipes collection. You will definitely enjoy it.
Try this Deep Fried Mussels Recipe and let me know what you think.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Deep Fried Mussels
- 1 lb. mussel meat meat removed from the shell
- 1 cup water
- 1/ 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 cups cooking oil
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper on the mussel meat. Mix well and then let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the batter by combining 3/4 cup flour, cornstarch, eggs, water, garlic powder, and remaining salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Mix well until the texture becomes smooth.
- Heat the oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Dip the mussel meat in the batter and then dredge in the remaining flour. This will prevent the mussel meat from sticking to each other.
- Deep fry the coated mussel meat in medium heat until the color of the coating turns golden brown.
- Serve with garlic sauce. Share and Enjoy!
Leave a Comment