Eggplant omelette is pretty much your basic tortang talong. The only difference is the way it was prepared and presented. I had all the ingredients (including the eggplant) mixed in a bowl. The mixture is then poured into a pan to cook. This time there isn’t any stem that you can hold onto when trying to flip the omelette. However, I can share what I usually do to easily turn the omelette over without damaging its form.
Flipping omelettes can be quite challenging. The technique that I use involves a plate. I simple slide the omelette from the pan towards the plate, cover the plate (with omelette) with the same pan, and then turning the plate over so that the uncooked part of the omelet touches the bottom of the pan. Now the other side is ready to be cooked. Another method that works is by broiling the uncooked part in the oven. No flipping is involved, but you will need to have an oven safe pan.
What is your favorite condiment for eggplant omelette? I you will ask me, I usually banana ketchup. Just recently, I discovered that sriracha mayonnaise works great too.
This can be eaten with sinangag for breakfast, or even made into a sandwich. The choice is yours. Since I am on keto at the moment, I just eat this as it is, without and side dishes.
Try this Eggplant Omelette Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 3 pieces eggs
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A dash of ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder. Continue to beat until all ingredients are well blended. Set aside.
- Use a fork to create tiny holes all over the eggplant. Cook the eggplant by either baking it in the oven at 400F for 20 to 25 minutes, or exposing it in fire over a stove top until the skin gets burnt and turns black.
- Let the eggplant cool down. Peel the skin then cut the stalk off. Arrange the eggplant flat in a plate. Gently mash using a fork.
- Transfer the mashed eggplant to the bowl with beaten egg. Beat until the eggplant is well incorporated with all the ingredients.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan. Once the oil gets hot, pour the mixture into the pan. Continue to cook in low to medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Flip the eggplant omellette using a plate. Do this by lifting the pan and tilt it towards the plate until the content slides into the plate (you can also use a spatula). Make sure that the cooked part is facing down. Now, hold the plate with one hand and the pan with the other. Cover the plate with pan and then quickly flip it over in a way that the top part of the omellete (which is still uncooked) touches the base of the pan. Continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with your favorite condiment.
- Share and enjoy!