Fish Kardilyo or Kardilyong Isda is a Filipino Fish Recipe with a special sauce. This dish is also similar to Fish Sarciado. This recipe that we have here is not your usual Kardilyo recipe. I tried to use fish fillet and cooked the fish in a manner that will provide a better texture to the dish.
Don’t get me wrong, the recipe remains simple and straightforward. You know that it is against my rules to overcomplicate dishes. In fact, I even work hard to present each recipe in the simplest possible way without sacrificing the flavor.
What I did was to coat the fish fillet with cornmeal. This will provide the dish with a crunchy texture that flour alone cannot give. Next is to fry the fish until crisp. That’s it. The succeeding steps are all about preparing the sauce. Finally, I just topped the sauce over the fried fish, and there you have it.
Try this Fish Kardilyo Recipe. Send us your feedback.
Fish Kardilyo Recipe
- 4 Pieces tilapia fillet
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 2 eggs beaten (1 for dip, 1 for sauce)
- 2 medium tomato diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Run salt and pepper on the tilapia fillet. Let it stand for 10 minutes
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Dredge the tilapia in flour and then dip in the beaten egg. Roll the tilapia on the corn meal. Make sure that the fish is properly coated.
- Fry each side until the color turns light to golden brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by sauteing garlic, onion, and tomato.
- Once the tomato and onion are soft, add the fish sauce and sprinkle some pepper.
- Add water and then let boil. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour-in remaining beaten egg and then stir for 5 seconds.
- Arrange the fried fish on a serving plate and then top with the sauce. You can also serve the sauce separately.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!