This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
General Tso Chicken is a popular Asian chicken recipe that goes well with Yang Chow fried rice. This version will certainly tickle your taste buds. If you have more time, try making the fried rice too.
Preparing General Tso Chicken might look complicated. However, it will not be difficult if you just focus on the recipe and be optimistic. We will only need to bread and fry the chicken slices and then prepare the sauce; that sounds pretty easy, right? When everything is done, you will be proud of your accomplishment.
I usually have this during for lunch during the weekend. Since the fried chicken slices can be considered as a base ingredient, I also make orange chicken and sweet and sour chicken out of them. This is a good idea especially if you expecting some guests.
I suggest that you consume this dish on the day that it was prepared. Though it is still safe and edible when refrigerated, the texture will be different. Make sure to prepare the right portion for the intended meal.
Try this General Tso’s Chicken Recipe. Happy Cooking!
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 1 small onion minced
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons minced ginger
- Marinade Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Stir.
- Add the chicken. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Dredge the marinated chicken in cornstarch and then dip into the beaten egg mixture.
- Roll the chicken back in the cornstarch and then deep fry until the color turns light brown (about 5 to 7 minutes). Do not overcook. Set aside.
- On a clean pan, sauté onion in 2 tablespoons cooking oil.
- Add the sauce mixture and then stir until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Put-in the deep fried chicken and stir until the sauce coats each piece.
- Add the chopped scallions. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!