Ginataang Langka with Malunggay and Daing or unripe jackfruit with moringa leaves and salted fish flakes cooked in coconut milk is a simple Filipino dish that I enjoy eating with warm white rice. This dish is simply delicious and easy to make. Feel free to browse the recipe below and refer to the cooking video for more information.
Ginataang Langka with Pork is also another version of this dish that I must suggest if you are looking for a pork version of this dish.
How to Cook Ginataang Langka with Malunggay and Daing
Start by sautéing onion, garlic, and chili in a pan. Next is to add the chopped unripe jackfruit. If using canned jackfruit (asI did), make sure to drain the water first and then squeeze the jackfruit until all the liquid goes out before chopping.
Cook the jackfruit for a few minutes before adding the fish flakes. The fish flakes are the meat of the dried fish separated from the bones and shredded. Cook for a few seconds and pour-in the coconut milk. The coconut milk needs to reduce to around 10%, so you’ll need to cook in medium heat until it evaporates. However, make sure that you stir it once in a while to prevent the ingredients from sticking on the pan.
Lastly, add the malunggay leaves and fish sauce. You can use spinach as an alternative ingredient to malunggay. Enjoy!
Ginataang Langka with Malunggay and Daing
- 2 cups unripe jackfruit chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups malunggay leaves
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups dried fish daing
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 to 5 pieces chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, add the onion, chili, and garlic. Saute until the onion becomes soft.
- Put in the jackfruit. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the dried fish flakes. Stir. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour-in the coconut milk. Let boil. Set the heat to medium and continue to cook while stirring once in a while until the coconut milk evaporates.
- Add the malunggay leaves and fish sauce. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!