I always want to learn how to cook embutido when I was a kid. It is my comfort food. I can eat it anytime of the day, warm or cold, with or without rice. Have you tried making embutido sandwich? It is great on toast with mayonnaise and cheese.
This delicious Filipino meatloaf is also associated to special occasions. People prepare and serve the dish during birthday parties and town fiestas. It is also a favorite Noche Buena dish within our house hold.
How to Cook Embutido
Cooking embutido is easy. Steaming is the common method used. However, it has to first be prepared and wrapped before cooking.
Prepare the embutido mixture by mixing ground pork with raisins, cheese, bell pepper, sweet pickle relish, carrot, onion, salt, pepper, and Knorr Liquid Seasoning. Add eggs and breadcrumbs. These two ingredients are called binders. Its job is to keep hold every ingredient together. You may use your hands to mix everything. An easier way is to use a stand mixer with dough hook.
Next is to wrap the ground pork mixture in aluminum foil sheets. I discussed it in detail below.
It is time to steam now that the embutido pieces are intact and securely wrapper in foil. Pour water on a pot and let boil. Arrange the embutido in a steamer. I used a bamboo steamer for this demonstration. Feel free to use any kind of steamer. Steam for 1 hour.
I suggest letting it cool down after steaming. Slicing will be easier if it is not hot as it will be intact. Refrigerating it for at least 3 hours is recommended for best results.
Enjoy it as a main dish with rice. You may also eat it by itself or with mashed potato.
How to Wrap Embutido in Foil
The process might sound complicated for beginners. Don’t be intimidated. Trust me, it is easy.
Lay an 8×12 inch foil sheet flat on a table. The shiny side should face down. Use a measuring cup to scoop the mixture. Scoop 1-cup of the embutido mixture and put it on the top center part of the foil. Mold the mixture into a 6-inch cylinder. Roll the foil downwards and secure both end of the foil. Do this by holding both ends with your fingers and turn both in opposite directions at the same time until the mixture is pushed inwards and becomes intact.
You should be able to make 10 pieces of meatloaf using this recipe. It is perfect to have for the holidays. It can be a good idea for a side business too.
Other Methods to Cook Embutido
Bake embutido in a conventional or electric oven for 350F for 1 hour. Make sure to bake it while it is wrapped in foil.
You can also grill it using a gas or charcoal grill. Set the grill to 320F and then grill until internal temperature reaches 160F. You will need a meat thermometer for this.
I like fried embutido for breakfast. Here is a dish that I previously made. This is can only be done after steaming it. Frying the raw mixture directly will give you a different consistency.
There are many ways to cook this dish. Chicken Embutido is one of my favorite after pork. You can also make a beef and a turkey version of it. Feel free to stuff it with hard boiled eggs and hotdogs.
Now you know How to Cook Embutido. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. ground pork
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- ¼ cup Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 2 pieces eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 piece red bell pepper minced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup carrots minced
- 1 cup onion minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the water. Mix altogether until well blended.
- Wrap the mixture using aluminum foil. Cut a piece of aluminum foil to 12x8 inches. Lay it flat on a table. The shiny part of the foil should face down. Scoop 1 cup of mixture and place it on the middle top part of the foil. Mold into a cylinder. Roll the foil from top to bottom. Secure both ends of the foil. Perform this step until the mixture is consumed.
- Boil water in a pot. Arrange the wrapped embutido in a steamer. Steam for 1 hour.
- Remove from the steamer. Let it cool down. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Slice into serving pieces.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Share and enjoy!