This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A Jelly Roll is a cake made of thin sheets of sponge cake. Various types of Jellies or Jams are spread on this cake before it gets rolled-up. Jelly Rolls are also known as Swiss Rolls.
Kids love Jelly Rolls. This is definitely a big hit to the young (and the young-at-heart). If you love Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, strawberry jelly sandwich, or any sandwich with jams, you will surely love Jelly Roll.
Making yourself a Jelly Roll is not that hard. Although, you should be familiar with the basic aspects of making a cake such as mixing, folding, and baking, before trying this recipe. I recommend you to refer to our video in making Brazo de Mercedes so that you will be familiar with the techniques and procedures. As for the complexity, Jelly Roll is easier to make compared to Brazo de Mercedes.
I like Jelly Roll because I am a fan of sponge cakes and jellies. Having Jelly Roll is like eating a sponge cake with Jelly spread. I enjoy eating Jelly Roll while sipping hot green tea.
Try this Jelly Roll Recipe and send me your feedback.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup jelly use your favorite brand and type
- 4 pieces raw eggs whites separated from the yolk
- 13 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all-purpose flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks and vanilla extract. Whisk (using an electric mixer) while gradually adding 5 ½ tablespoons of granulated white sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites while gradually adding the remaining 8 tablespoons of granulated white sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold-in the egg yolk mixture with the egg white mixture. Gradually sprinkle the flour and baking powder mixture while folding.
- Grease a flat baking tray, and then pour-in the mixture. Spread the mixture evenly.
- Put inside the oven and bake for 13 to 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Sprinkle confectioners sugar on the top part and distribute evenly.
- Remove the cake from the tray and place in a parchment paper or cloth (the part with confectioners sugar should be facing down).
- Spread Jelly over the cake (the side opposite the one coated with sugar).
- Roll the cake gently starting from one of the edges.
- Trim both ends of the rolled cake. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!