Kangkong with Squid Balls in Oyster Sauce is a dish comprised of water spinach and squid balls. This is a budget-friendly Filipino vegetable dish is quick and easy to cook. It only takes less than 20 minutes before its ready.
Kangkong is a vegetable that can be found all over the Philippines. It is a common ingredient for Sinigang, a type of soup with sour broth. Kangkong is inexpensive. It sells for 10 Pesos a bunch when I bought it within Metro Manila sometime in June 2018.
Squid ball is considered as a street food. It is a mixture of different ingredient with a squid component in it. This is usually sold fried and skewered. It can also be an ingredient to dishes such as this.
How to Cook Kangkong with Squid Balls in Oyster Sauce
Preparing this dish is simple. I started by sautéing garlic and onion and then the squid balls were added and cooked for around 3 minutes. I added the oyster sauce and poured the sauce mixture into the pan. The mixture is composed of chicken broth and cornstarch. Note that chicken broth adds more flavor to the dish, while cornstarch helps thicken the sauce. The leaves and a few stalks were added right when the sauce is starting to thicken. The last thing to do is season with salt and pepper based on your preference.
This dish is similar to kangkong in oyster sauce, except that this has squid balls in it.
Try this Kangkong with Squid Balls in Oyster Sauce Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Kangkong with Squid Balls in Oyster Sauce
- 1 bunch Kangkong cleaned and chopped
- 10 pieces squid balls sliced into half
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspooon cornstarch
- 1 piece onion minced
- 3 clove garlic crushed and minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute onion and garlic until the onion softens.
- Add squid balls. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour oyster sauce. Stir.
- Combine chicken broth and cornstarch. Stir until blended. Pour into the pan. Stir. Continue to cook in medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add kangkong leaves. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Tranfer to serving plate. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!