Kangkong in Oyster Sauce is a simple vegetable dish composed of a green leafy vegetable that is locally known in the Philippines as kangkong, oyster sauce, and some seasonings. Kangkong is also called water spinach. The Chinese variety is known as ongchoy. This variety is easier to find here in North America — mostly in Asian groceries or Filipino stores.
This Kangkong in Oyster Sauce Recipe is so quick and easy. You will have your healthy vegetable dish ready in a matter of a few minutes. This is considered as a side dish that can be eaten with rice and main dishes such as sweet and sour pork, orange chicken, or kung-pao chicken. I also like to have this with kung-pao shrimp and char-siu (pork barbeque).
Kangkong is not only limited to sinigang dishes, this dish is a good example on how to prepare this simple vegetable. Also try to make Kangkong with bagoong (shrimp paste) and Adobong Kangkong next time.
Try this Kangkong in Oyster Sauce Recipe. Enjoy!
Kangkong in Oyster Sauce Recipe
- 1 bunch kangkong Ongchoy or water spinach, cleaned
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons toasted garlic
- ¾ cup beef broth
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds optional
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Separated the kangkong leaves from the stalk. Cut the stalk into 2 inch length pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the toasted garlic by following this guide: How to make toasted garlic. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine beef broth, oyster sauce, and corn starch. Mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil (preferably the one used to make toasted garlic) in a pan.
- When the oil gets hot, put-in the sliced kangkong stalks. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in the oyster sauce, beef broth, and cornstarch mixture. Add the toasted garlic. Stir. Cook for 1 minute of until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the kangkong leaves and red pepper flakes. Let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Share and enjoy!