Do you know How to Make Potato Chips? Whether you’re expecting a house full of guests or need a healthier snack, knowing how to make potato chips at home is an impressive skill. Homemade potato chips can be much healthier than store-bought varieties because you can control the quality and quantity of ingredients. Learn from this tutorial how to make potato chips on the stovetop, in the oven and in the microwave.
Choosing Ingredients for Potato Chips
Expert cooks prefer using Russet potatoes for making chips. Leaving the skin on or off, you need to cut them into slices. The thicker the potato slices, the longer your chips will take to cook. If you’re frying, choose healthier oils that are good for your heart like olive oil, canola, safflower or sunflower. Vegetable oil is also good for deep-frying.
How to Make Potato Chips in the Oven
Learning how to make potato chips in the oven is a healthier technique compared to frying. Chips are just as crispy without the added fat from cooking oil.
Start by pre-heating your oven to 500 F or 260 C.
Slice potatoes as instructed above and arrange them on a paper towel to drain their natural moisture. When dry, lightly brush a baking tray and the tops of potato slices with melted butter. Bake the potatoes in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the sides turn golden brown.
Season potato chips with salt and other spices. Serve.
How to Make Potato Chips on the Stovetop
- 4-6 Russet potatoes depending on the quantity you want
- Cooking oil as needed
- Salt and other desired seasonings
- Slice your potatoes and soak them in water and 2-3 tablespoons of salt. Soak them for about 30 minutes, drain the water, rinse and let them dry before frying.
- Pour about a quart of cooking oil into a deep pan and heat. To test if the oil is ready, slip the end of a wooden spoon in the pan. If bubbles form at the end of the spoon, it is ready for frying. If not, leave it to heat up a bit more.
- Separate your potato slices into 2 or 3 batches and fry each batch in the hot oil until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel to drain the oil. Season and serve.
How to Make Potato Chips in a Microwave
To cook potato chips in the microwave, begin by soaking potato slices in salt water as per instructions above. Place potatoes on paper towels and use another towel to gently press and absorb excess moisture.
Line a large, microwave-proof plate with another clean paper towel and arrange the potato slices without touching each other.
Cook on highest heat for 3 minutes. Use a spatula or fork to flip them over and cook potatoes on half the power for another 3 minutes. From here on, cook the slices on half the power, flipping them at 1 minute intervals. Continue to do this until they are golden brown with a crispy texture all over. Season the chips with salt, pepper or chili, curry, garlic or onion powder and serve.