Pancit Guisado is a Filipino noodle dish. It is also known as Pancit Bihon Gisado. This dish is composed of rice noodles, shredded chicken, shrimp, and vegetables. The noodles are locally called bihon. The word Guisado refers to the method used in cooking the dish. It simply means sautéed.
Pancit is a symbol for long life. It is served during special occasions. A typical birthday menu should have pancit. This dish also attributed to the Christmas season. It is a favorite during potluck Christmas parties. It is also one of the dishes that I recommend for Christmas dinner or Noche Buena.
I personally like to cook Pancit Guisado because it is quick and easy to prepare. This is your typical short order dish. It takes less than 30 minutes to complete provided that the shredded chicken is prepared in advance.
I highly recommend this recipe. It is very tasty, delicious, and simple.
How to Cook Pancit
This pancit version makes use of shredded boiled chicken thighs. It is good to prepare this in advance to save time. I did it by boiling the chicken for 30 minutes. The meat can be shredded manually once it cools down. It can be prepared in bulk and kept inside the freezer for future use.
The process starts with the noodles. Soak noodles in water for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. This will make it easier to sauté later on. Next is to pre-cook the shrimp. Pan-fry shrimp for 1 minute per side. Remove it from the pan and set aside for later.
Now all ingredients are ready to be sautéed. I start by sautéing onion and garlic. This is the typical way of cooking most Filipino food. Chinese sausage and chicken are added, along with soy sauce and shrimp cube. The vegetables are added afterwards along with the noodles. The pre-cooked shrimp can be added last. Simply toss all the ingredients using a kitchen tong until well blended. Season it with ground black pepper.
Note that this is a quick method of cooking pancit. This is not the only way to make one. Check our pancit recipes for ideas.
Meat and seafood: Sliced pork can also be added into the dish. Chicken breast or drumstick can be used as a substitute to thigh. Fresh shrimp can be optional as long as you use Shrimp cube.
Vegetables: Snap peas or snow peas can be used as a replacement for long green beans. Some people prefer to add chopped fresh mushrooms and bell pepper to their pancit. You can do that too.
Enjoy your dish by squeezing a piece of two of calamansi over it before eating.
Try this Pancit Guisado Recipe. Let me know what you think
Pancit Guisado Recipe
- 1/2 lb pancit bihon
- 1 piece Knorr Shrimp Cube
- 1/2 lb. chicken thigh boiled and shredded
- 8 pieces shrimp shell and head removed
- 1/2 piece small cabbage chopped
- 3/4 cup carrot julienne
- 3 pieces stalks celery chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced long green beans
- 1 piece onion sliced into thin pieces
- 5 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 pieces Chinese sausage chopped
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups water
- Soak panic bison in water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain water and set noodles aside.
- Heat oil in a pot. Pan-fry shrimp for 1 minute per side. Remove and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic using remaining cooking oil. Add Chinese sausage. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add shredded chicken and celery. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add Knorr Shrimp Cube. Crush the cube and continue to saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour-in soy sauce. Add parsley, carrot, green beans, and cabbage. Stir. Cover and cook for 3 minutes using medium heat.
- Add pancit. Toss ingredients using a kitchen tong.
- Season with ground black pepper and add the shrimp back. Toss until well blended. Cover the pot and continue to cook for 2 to 5 minutes between low to medium heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve. Share and enjoy!