Pansit Malabon is a flavorful noodle dish that originated in the City of Malabon. This dish resembles the Pancit Palabok but the array of seafood toppings and the traditional tough and thick rice noodles distinguishes this dish.
The reason why this noodle dish seems like a complete seafood sampler is because of the city’s location. Malabon is situated in a coastal area wherein most of the major fish markets are located. The city is also a few minutes away from the huge fish ports of Navotas.
Some of the common seafood ingredients of Pancit Malabon are shrimp, smoked fish flakes (tinapa flakes), and squid. Oysters (talaba) and mussels (tahong) can also be used depending on your preference.
Try this Pancit Malabon Recipe and let me know what you think.
Pancit Malabon Recipe
- 1 lb thick rice noodles
- 1/2 lb pork belly boiled and sliced
- 1/2 cup annatto seeds diluted in 1/2 cup water also known as annatto water
- 3/4 cup shrimp juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic minced
- 1 medium-sized onion minced
- 1/4 cup pork rinds chicharon, pounded
- 1/2 lb shrimp shelled, cooked, and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 lb adobong pusit sliced
- 1/2 cup pork rinds chicharon, pounded
- 1 cup napa cabbage pechay baguio, chopped then blanched
- 1 piece lemon quartered
- 3/4 cup tinapa flakes
- 3 pieces hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted garlic
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions. If you are using the traditional Pancit Malabon noodles, you will need to soak it in water overnight before cooking. Set aside.
- Start making the sauce by sautéing the minced garlic and onion.
- Add chopped boiled pork and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add fish sauce and ground black pepper then stir.
- Pour-in shrimp juice and annatto water and let boil.
- Add pounded pork rinds (chicharon) then stir.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes then turn off heat.
- Place the cooked noodles in a large bowl then pour-in the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer the sauce and noodle mixture in a wide serving plate and arrange the tinapa flakes, eggs, parsley, garlic, and cabbage on top.
- Serve with lemon or calamansi and a lot of love. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: