Patis Fried Chicken is a crispy and tasty fried chicken recipe that is best eaten with rice. This fried chicken dish is marinated in fish sauce and ground black pepper before coated in flour and cornstarch mixture. This makes Patis fried chicken tasty and crispy.
Preparing patis fried chicken in your kitchen is quick and easy. All you need are chicken that are cut into serving pieces, pure fish sauce, ground black pepper, and cooking oil for frying. This dish is best with white rice of any type of fried rice.
I love fish sauce, but I sad to say that the best fish sauce that I had was not from the Philippines. Maybe we as Filipinos are making fish sauce too commercialized and cheap to the point that it lacks flavor. I won’t tell the brand of fish sauce that I used or the country where it came from – I’m just hoping that the Philippines will produce a high quality fish sauce that can compete with the international market someday.
Update: I just came back from Manila and was happy to find high quality fish sauce available to the public. I used it as a dip for pinaupong manok and it was good.
Going back to the recipe, the flour and cornstarch mixture gives texture to the chicken – it makes the chicken crisp and delicious.
Try this Patis Fried Chicken Recipe. Share and enjoy!
Patis Fried Chicken
- 2 lbs. whole chicken cut into serving pieces
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3 cups cooking oil
- Put the chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground black pepper and fish sauce. Mix well and let it stay for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour and cornstarch in a large container. Mix well.
- Heat a deep cooking pot. Pour-oil and then let the oil get hot enough to fry.
- Dredge the marinated chicken in the flour and cornstarch mixture.
- Deep fry for 12 minutes per side (medium heat); flip to cook the other side for 8 to 10 minutes
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve hot.
- Share and enjoy!