Pork Adobo is a popular Filipino Pork Recipe. The method of cooking this dish is called “inadobo”. It is safe to call this inadobong baboy na may patatas.
Adobo is considered as a signature Filipino dish. This particular recipe is different from the original basic recipe because of an additional ingredient, the potatoes.
During my childhood until the time that I reached adolescence, I never had pork adobo with something extra in it; I wanted it as basic as it can be – but extra garlic is always fine though. As I grew older and started to get curious about different Filipino Regional Dishes, I slowly accepted the idea that certain dishes can be cooked more than one way using different kinds of ingredients.
Pork Adobo with Potato might not be a regional dish. This can be the result of someone’s idea to stretch a family’s grocery budget by adding fillers such as potatoes. It can also be the product of a successful cooking experiment. The reason why this dish existed is not significant; what’s important is that it is here to stay.
I think that Pork Adobo with Potatoes is a successful dish because it has a well balanced flavor. The potatoes absorb the excess vinegar and salt making it as tasty as the meat. I usually eat this with a little rice to control my carbohydrate intake, since potatoes are also rich in carbs.
Try this Pork Adobo with Potato Recipe and let me know what you think.
Pork Adobo with Potato Recipe
- 2 lbs pork sliced into cubes
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan
- Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds
- Add the pork and whole peppercorn. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour-in soy sauce and water.
- Add the bay leaves and let boil. Simmer (covered) for about 40 to 60 minutes. Note: Add water if needed
- Put-in the vinegar and allow re-boiling.
- Add the potatoes. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add salt
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!