This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Chicken Lollipop Recipe is generally considered as a hors d’œuvre or appetizer dish. Though not everyone may know, this chicken dish is made from chicken wings. In the Philippines, Chicken Lollipop is considered as a main dish and is prepared in a simpler manner compared to the chicken lollipop dishes of India and other countries. It is served with warm white rice.
This dish has a huge similarity to Asian Pan Fried Chicken , though it takes a bit more time and effort to prepare.
How to Prepare Chicken Lollipop
Preparation is the key to this dish. The cooking process is easy. Even newbies can cook tender crispy fried chicken wings using this method as long as the wings are properly prepped.
The chicken wings need to be sliced into two pieces, We will be needing the wingette and drumette parts. Save the wingtip for future use. It can be used as ingredient for chicken stock.
The next step is to push all the meat to one end of the bone. Do this by loosening the meat from one end of the bone and forcibly pushing it down to the other end. Sometimes it is as easy as pushing it downwards with a little force, but sometimes a knife is needed to loosen the meat and muscles from the bone. I suggest that you watch the video below to see how I did mine.
The details of the cooking process are listed in the recipe below.
Kids love this dish. I’m not having a hard time encouraging them to finish their meal every time I serve these tiny fried chicken for dinner. In case your kids are picky with their food, you now know what to give them next.
Have fun making chicken lollipop at home. Let me know what you think about our recipe.
- 10 pieces chicken wings
- 1 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 pieces raw eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Divide the chicken wing into 3 parts by slicing through the joints. Set aside the wingtip for other possible uses.
- Shape the wing to look like a lollipop. You should have two parts of the chicken wing by now: the one with a single bone and the one with two bones. Start by selecting the part with one bone.
- Separate the meat from the bone by sliding a sharp knife around the tip of the bone where meat is still connected (do not cut through the bone).
- Place the wing vertically on top of a flat surface while holding the part where the knife passed.
- Gently push downward while gripping the bone with your thumb and index finger until the meat slides down.
- Arrange the meat by inverting the inner part until a lollipop shape is formed. Note: Do the same procedure for the part with two bones. However, you need to first detach the smaller bone before commencing.
- Season the chicken lollipops with salt and pepper and let it stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Crack the eggs and transfer to a bowl then whisk.
- Gradually add-in the all-purpose flour while whisking until a batter is formed.
- Dip the chicken lollipop on the batter then to the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot then deep-fry the chicken lollipop under medium heat until the color of the outer part turns medium brown (about 10 to 12 minutes).
- Remove the fried chicken lollipop from the cooking pot and transfer to a dish with paper towel. Let it stand until excess oil is absorbed by the paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite dip. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Chicken Lollipop