I usually prepare Seared Shrimp Macaroni Salad with Roasted Bell Pepper during spring time. I love how all the components of this macaroni salad version complement each other. It has a nice rich and tangy taste from the dressing that pairs well with the smoky flavor of the bell peppers and the nice flavors of the seared shrimp. You should try it too.
How to Make Seared Shrimp Macaroni Salad with Roasted Bell Pepper
The process in making your own special shrimp salad is quick and easy. The first thing to do is cook the macaroni following the package instructions. Next is to roast the bell peppers, sear the shrimp, prepare the dressing, and mix everything together. Let me discuss this in detail.
Like any other macaroni salad, this recipe makes use of cooked elbow macaroni. The best way to cook it is to follow the manufacturers instruction indicated in the package. If it is not available, you can do it using my method. Start by boiling around 6 cups water and add a bit of salt. The macaroni goes into the pot to cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Drain the water and rinse the macaroni with cold water.
Roasting bell peppers can be as easy as placing it on the stovetop. This is the quickest method that I know. Simply sliced the bell peppers and then arrange over the burner grates. Apply direct heat and continue to roast until the peppers are soft. Wash and peel the outer skin to remove the burnt area, and then chop into small pieces.
Searing shrimp is simply putting shelled shrimp into a hot pan and cooking each side for a couple of minutes until dark orange. I add a little bit of oil in this process to prevent the shrimp from sticking on the pan. Searing gives the shrimp a nice taste that complements well with the mac salad. Once done, chop the shrimp into smaller pieces.
I should say that the salad dressing plays a huge role in the success of every salad. It can make or break it. This means that the dressing should be a good pair with the ingredients of the macaroni salad (for this matter) in order for our dish to be a success. I simply used a combination of Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise, onion powder, salt, pepper, and lemon. I think that this blended well with the other ingredients. Oh, and don’t just substitute calamansi for lemon. I recommend you to use sweet pickle relish in case lemon is not available. The flavor profile will be different, but the result is still fantastic.
Combine all the ingredients together and then toss until well blended. I like my salad cold, so I chill it in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
This version of shrimp salad makes a good side dish for fried and grilled dishes. You can also enjoy it by itself for a snack or as a meal. On a side note, this mac salad version is my favorite side for fried pork chops.
Try this Seared Shrimp Macaroni Salad with Roasted Bell Pepper recipe. Let me know what you think.
Seared Shrimp Macaroni Salad with Roasted Bell Pepper
- 18 pieces shrimp head and shell removed
- ½ lb. Elbow macaroni
- 1 piece red bell pepper
- 1 piece green bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
Salad dressing ingredients
- 1 cup Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece lemon or ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- Cook the elbow macaroni based on package instructions. Set aside.
- Roast the bell peppers on the stovetop. Arrange the sliced peppers on the burner grate and directly roast with fire until the pepper softens. Wash with running water while scraping burns on the outer layer. Chop and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan or cooking pot. Sear the fresh shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes or until it turns orangey. Remove from the pan. Chop into pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by arranging a cup of Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise in a large bowl. Add all the salad dressing ingredients. Stir until blended. Set aside.
- Assemble the shrimp macaroni salad by combining macaroni, seared shrimp, celery, and roasted bell peppers in a large bowl. Toss until all ingredients are well distributed. Pour salad dressing into the bowl. Fold until well blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Make Seared Shrimp Macaroni Salad with Roasted Bell Pepper