Sinigang na Hipon sa Sampaloc
Sinigang na Hipon sa Sampaloc or Filipino Shrimp Soup in tamarind broth is a quick and easy soup dish that you can prepare for lunch or dinner. This dish is quite flexible with the vegetable ingredients because you can mix and match your preferred sinigang veggies and you can also add some long green chili…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sinigang na Hipon sa Sampaloc or Filipino Shrimp Soup in tamarind broth is a quick and easy soup dish that you can prepare for lunch or dinner. This dish is quite flexible with the vegetable ingredients because you can mix and match your preferred sinigang veggies and you can also add some long green chili or finger pepper to make it bit spicy.
There are many ways to cook Sinigang na Hipon; this recipe is just one of them. For this recipe, daikon or white radish was used along with common veggies such as okra and tomato. The good thing about this Sinigang na hipon version is its simplicity. There are minimal veggies involved, but still the outcome was good and I really find it to be comforting. I always feel some comfort after having warm sour soup even in warm weather.
There is another Shrimp sinigang recipe that I previously featured which is somewhat similar, except that it made use of more veggies and I also used a pouch of sinigang powder for convenience. I think that both recipes are good and full of flavor. The reason behind this is the shrimp that was used for both recipes. If you will look closely, I used clean shrimp with shell and head still intact. Most of the flavor comes from the head of the shrimp, and that is what makes the soup flavorful.
Speaking of flavorful seafood sinigang, I remember the sinigang na panga ng tuna (tuna jaw) and sinigang tuna belly that I always make when I was still in the Philippines.
Try this Sinigang na Hipon sa Sampaloc Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Sinigang na Hipon sa Sampaloc
- 2 lbs. medium to large shrimp with head and shell
- 1 lb. unripe tamarind
- 1 small daikon white radish, sliced
- 1 bunch spinach or kangkong
- 12 pieces okra
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 medium plum tomato quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion quartered
- 6 cups water
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Pour the water in a cooking pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the tamarind. Cover and boil for 30 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Separate the tamarind from the water. Make sure to squeeze the juice out of the tamarind for maximum flavor.
- Heat the cooking pot with the remaining water and tamarind extract. You can add more water if you think that the amount of remaining liquid is less than 5 cups. Let boil.
- Add the tomato and onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the daikon,okra, and shrimp. Cook for 3 to 8 minutes in medium heat.
- Add the spinach and fish sauce. Stir. Cover and turn the heat off.
- Sprinkle some ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Leave a Comment