I have been craving for Tiger prawn for the longest time. This was the reason why I decided to make Sinigang na Sugpo upon arriving in the Philippines. The wet markets there carry the freshest seafood. You can watch the video of my special episode below wherein I went to Imus wet market in Cavite to shop for ingredients. It was fun!
What was I doing in Imus? If you have been following us for a while, you might know that I am originally from Las Pinas City. I spent most of my life there when I was still living in the Philippines. We moved to Bacoor Cavite only a year before we migrated to the US. We stayed at our humble house during our vacation, which is not far from Imus wet market.
It was great to re-experience the commute in the Philippines. I rode the jeepney on the way to the public market. It was wonderful!
This recipe is simple. I recommend this for beginners. when it comes to the ingredient, you should also be able to use shrimp if prawn is not available. Spinach can be used as a substitute to kangkong too. Let me know if you have questions or clarifications with the recipe. Have fun cooking and enjoy the good food!
Try this Sinigang na Sugpo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Sinigang na Sugpo Recipe
- 2.2 lbs. Sugpo Tiger prawn
- 1 40g pack Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Mix, Original
- 4 to 6 pieces Okra
- 12 to 15 pieces Sitaw Snake Beans, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium Labanos Daikon radish, sliced
- 3 medium tomato wedged
- 3 medium yellow onion wedged
- 3 to 5 pieces siling pansigang long green pepper
- 3 tablespoons patis fish sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 quarts water
- Pour water into a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add onion and tomato. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Recipe Mix. Stir.
- Put the Labanos and siling pansigang into the pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Sugpo. Gently stir. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Put Okra and Sitaw into the pot. Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with patis and ground black pepper. Stir.
- Add Kangkong. Cover the pot. Turn the heat off. Let it stay for at least 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!