This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Soup Number 5 is a type of exotic soup. It is composed of the bull’s sex organs, mainly the penis and the testes. I will refer to these as bat and balls throughout the article and the recipe. This soup is said to have aphrodisiac effects.
This soup is usually consumed as a pulutan while drinking alcoholic beverages. It is also said to be a good for cure hangover.
I was not able to get the pair of ingredients here in the US. The only ingredient that I can source online were the balls, which are also referred to as rocky mountain oysters. It took me a while to come-up with this recipe because I needed to have the complete components for the dish. Since there are quite a number of readers requesting for this recipe, I decided to go to the Philippines to source it. Thanks to my father-in-law and brother-in-law for making it possible. They were the ones who went to Malabon Public Market to get these for me.
How to Cook Soup Number 5
Cooking Lanciao or Soup Number 5 takes a bit of preparation. The meat ingredients need to be washed thoroughly and parboiled to remove scums and clean it further.
Wash the bat and balls in running water or put it in a large pan and wash while scrubbing thoroughly. I suggest using lukewarm water for best results. It also helps when boiling it in water for at least 15 minutes. Do this by pouring around 6 cups of water in a cooking pot. Add bat and balls. Cover and boil for 15 minutes in medium heat. Discard the water afterwards. Wash the meat again and trim unnecessary skin.
Meanwhile, pour water in a cooking pot and let boil. Add sibot herb mix and lemongrass. Boil for 5 minutes Add bat and balls. Cover the pot and continue to cook in low heat for 3 to 4 hours or until tender. Pressure cooking can also be done to tenderize the meat quickly. Remove the meat ingredients from the pot. Let it cool down and then slice into smaller pieces. Separate the remaining solid ingredient from the soup by filtering it using a kitchen sieve.
Soup Number 5 can now be cooked at this point now that the ingredients are prepared. This is actually the easiest part.
Saute garlic, onion, and ginger. Do this by heating oil on a cooking pot. Garlic goes first. Cook until medium brown. It is best to brown the garlic so that it can provide that nice roasted garlic flavor to the soup. Add onions and ginger. Cook until onion softens.
Put the sliced bat and balls into the pot. Saute for at least 2 minutes. You may also add chopped Thai chili peppers if you want your soup spicy like I do. Pour filtered soup into the pot and add beef broth. Let it boil. Cover and boil in medium heat for 20 minutes. Season with fish sauce, ground black pepper, and sugar. You can also make the soup thicker by adding mixture of cornstarch or potato starch and water.
Try this Soup Number 5 Recipe. Let me Know what you think.
- 2 lbs. Ox bat and balls
- 2 bunches lemongrass
- 1 set sibot herb mix
- 3 pieces Thai chili pepper optional
- 3 tablespoons green onion chopped
- 3 thumbs ginger julienne
- 2 pieces onions sliced
- 8 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Boil 6 cups water in a cooking pot.
- Put Ox bat and balls. Continue to boil for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the cooking pot and wash with running water. Discard the water.
- Pour 6 cups water in a cooking pot. Let boil. Add sibot herb mix and lemongrass. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add bat and balls into the pot. Continue to cook for 3 to 4 hours or until tender. Note: you can use a pressure cooker to tenderize it quickly. Add water as needed.
- Remove the meat from the pot. Let it cool down and then slice into smaller pieces. Filter the liquid using a kitchen sieve to separate the solid ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute garlic, onion, and ginger until garlic browns and onion softens.
- Add the sliced bat and balls and chopped Thai chili. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour the filtered liquid and add beef broth. Let boil. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and ground black pepper and add sugar. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Make the soup thicker by pouring a mixture composed of cornstarch and water. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Soup Number 5