Talong at Tuna Torta is a type of eggplant omelet (or tortang talong) . A piece of eggplant was boiled until tender, and dipped in beaten egg before frying. Sautéed tuna flakes from canned tuna are toped over the eggplant as it cooks.
How to Cook Talong at Tuna Torta
This is an easy dish that you can make at home. It has minimal ingredients and the cooking process is not that complicated. Simply follow the recipe and watch the cooking video below for guidance.
Start by sautéing the tuna. This helps reduce the fishy taste and makes it even more delicious. Heat oil in a pan and then saute onion until it softens. Add the canned tune. Make sure to discard the liquid from the can before cooking it. Season with salt and pepper. Place the cooked tuna in a clean bowl. This will be used later.
Prepare the eggplant by making it tender and removing its skin. Do this by boiling water in a pan. As the water starts to boil, draw incisions from the top to the bottom part of the eggplant. Do this 5 times all around. These incisions help cook it quicker. It also makes the peeling part easier.
Boil the eggplant until tender. Turn it over to cook all the sides. Remove from the pan once done. Let the eggplant cool down and then peel the skin off all through out.
It is time to assemble and cook the omelet. Crack eggs in a bowl. season with salt and then beat. Dip eggplant in beaten egg. Heat remaining oil in a pan. Lay the eggplant flat on the pan and fry one side in medium heat.
Arrange the sautéed tuna over the eggplant. Spread it all over. Pour some beaten egg mixture over the tuna. Scoop hot oil from the pan and pour over the tuna. Do this until the beaten egg mixture starts to solidify. This step will secure the tuna and will prevent it from falling.
Top with chopped green onions and pour remaining beaten egg mixture. Flip the eggplant over and continue cooking the other side until light to medium brown.
You can have this anytime of the day. I like eating it with rice.
Try this Talong at Tuna Torta recipe. Happy cooking!
Talong at Tuna Torta
- 5 ounces tuna canned
- 1 piece eggplant
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onion chopped
- 2 pieces eggs
- ¾ cup cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Saute onion until soft. Add tuna. Continue to saute for 1 minute. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Boil water in pan. As the water starts to boil, draw incisions on the eggplant from top (below the stem) to bottom. Do this all around the vegetable. Boil both sides until tender. Remove from the pan and let it cool down. Discard the water.
- Peel the skin off the eggplant. Lay it on a flat surface and then slide a fork to flatten it. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl. Beat and then season with salt. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan. Dip the eggplant in beaten egg. Fry one side in medium heat. Arrange sauteed tuna over the eggplant. Spread using a spoon or spatula. Pour some beaten egg over the tuna. Scoop hot oil from the same pan, and then pour over beaten egg. Do this until the eggs slightly cooks. This will keep the tuna intact and will prevent it from falling.
- Top with chopped green onions and pour remaining egg mixture.
- Carefully turn the eggplant over to cook the opposite side. Continue cooking until the color turns light to medium brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve and enjoy!