Tasty Ginisang Sayote is not just your ordinary sautéed chayote. This dish holds up to its name. It is full of flavor and simply delicious.
Ginisang Sayote is a Filipino vegetable dish. Chayote and vegetables such as carrots are sauteed with protein (usually pork). It is a simple dish that can be prepared for either lunch or dinner. It is best eaten as a main dish with rice. It can also be paired with other fried dishes.
How to Cook Tasty Ginisang Sayote
I started to cook the dish by searing the pork until it browns. Simply heat a pot or a pan and put the pork directly. Oil is slowly extracted from the pork during the process. Make sure to stir once in a while to cook the meat evenly.
Once enough oil is extracted and the pork browns, add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion softens. The pork is completely cooked at this point. However, it still needs to be tenderized. Add enough water to the pot and boil the pork until tender. I do it by covering the pot after adding around 1 ½ cups water. You will know that the pork is tender when the water completely evaporates.
This is the point when we start sautéing the vegetables. Start with the sayote. Add sayote and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Put the carrots in the pot and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
I use Knorr Pork SavorRich Liquid Seasoning to make my Ginisang Sayote really tasty. It is a concentrated seasoning that I use when cooking sautéed and fried dishes. You only need 16 grams of it for the entire dish. It is around 2 ½ teaspoons. I think that it makes a huge difference in providing flavor to the dish.
You may add some ground black pepper to your dish if preferred. Water can also be added if you want your dish to have a bit of sauce, just like what I did in the recipe below. ¼ cup of water should be enough.
This dish goes well with a cup of warm white rice. It can also be enjoyed alongside with fried fish.
Try this Tasty Ginisang Sayote Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 3 pieces sayote sliced
- 16 g sachet Knorr Pork SavorRich Pork Liquid Seasoning
- 1 piece carrot sliced into strips
- 5 ounces pork belly sliced into thin pieces
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic crushed and minced
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a cooking pot. Sear pork until brown and oil is extracted.
- Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion softens.
- Pour 1 ½ cups water. Let boil. Cover the pot and continue to boil in low heat until liquid completely evaporates.
- Add chayote and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add carrots. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour Knorr Pork SavorRich Liquid Seasoning. Stir.
- Add ground black pepper (optional). Pour ¼ cup water. Cover the pot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!