Ube kalamay is a type of Filipino “kakanin” (also referred to as rice cake). It made from grated purple yam, which is known as “ube” in the Philippines. The other ingredients as far as this recipe is concerned are glutinous rice flour, white sugar, and ube flavoring.
This has a sweet taste and it is gooey (soft and sticky), just like kalamay hati. I enjoy eating ube kalamay as meryenda in the middle of the afternoon. It can also be eaten during breakfast with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.
I made my own latik for this ube kalamay recipe. The coconut oil that was extracted in the process was used grease the mold, while the latik was sprinkled on top of the dish. I have a post on how to make latik if you plan to make one from scratch. Note that it talks about using coconut milk. I think that using coconut cream will give you a better result. You may follow the steps using coconut cream.
Remember to stir the ube kalamay mixture until it gets thick enough for you to handle. This will ensure that your final product will have the right level of gooeyness.
Try this Ube Kalamay Recipe. Happy cooking!
Ube Kalamay Recipe
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup grated purple yam ube
- 2 teaspoons purple ube flavoring
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup latik
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Combine water, glutinous rice flour, and 2 cups of coconut milk in a bowl. Mix well using a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Heat a cooking pot. Pour 2 cups of coconut milk. Let boil.
- Add shredded purple yam. Stir and cook in medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Pour the glutinous rice flour mixture into the cooking pot. Stir until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Gradually add the sugar while stirring. Continue to cook until the mixture becomes very thick.
- Brush coconut oil in a mold (I used a quiche mold for this recipe). Put the cooked ube kalamay in the mold. Spread it around the mold. Brush remaining coconut oil over the ube kalamay. Flatten top using a spoon. Top with latik.
- Let the kalamay cool down for 1 hour. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!