Beef Mechado is a type of stew with tomato sauce. This dish is somewhat similar to other Filipino dishes such as the Kaldereta (caldereta), Estofada (or Estofado), and as well as the Afritada because of the base ingredient used (which is tomato sauce).
If we look closely, there are differences such as the manner of cooking or preparation and ingredients used. I enjoy eating tomato based dishes especially if beef is used. However, the time needed to tenderize the meat tests my patience. Good thing I was able to buy a reliable pressure cooker to solve my problem.
I acknowledge the fact that slow cooked meals are still the best but sometimes we need to improvise our cooking methods to suit our busy lives.
Try this Beef Mechado Recipe.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece large onion, sliced
- 2 lbs beef chuck,cubed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 slice lemon with rind
- 1 piece large potato, cubed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs. bay leaves (laurel)
- salt to taste
- Heat cooking oil in a pan then saute the garlic and onion.
- Put-in the beef and saute for about 3 minutes or until color turns light brown
- Add the tomato sauce and water then simmer until the meat is tender. Add water as needed. Note this can take 60 to 120 minutes depending on the quality of the beef.
- Add the soy sauce, ground black pepper, lemon rind, laurel leaves, and salt then simmer until excess liquid evaporates
- Put-in the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft
- Place in a serving plate then serve hot with rice. Share and Enjoy!