Baked Macaroni is a pasta dish that makes use of elbow macaroni as the primary ingredient. At first look, this could be mistaken as the famous Macaroni and Cheese but there is more to this dish than just having pasta and cheese.
Meat is one of its most important components. Ground beef is usually used but others prefer ground pork, ground chicken, and even minced ham. Being a tomato based pasta, Baked Macaroni uses diced tomatoes (or tomato sauce) and tomato paste as well. Capsicum (or bell pepper) and paprika are optionally added to add more flavor and aroma.
The description above makes a regular Baked Macaroni but adding the Mornay sauce (or white sauce as we usually call it) makes it more special. This is a cheese and milk sauce made by combining a roux with milk and adding parmesan and gruyere cheese (or sharp cheddar if gruyere is not available). Then you’ll have rich and creamy pasta ready for baking.
This is delightful for meat lovers. There are also other options if you prefer pasta with seafood. Shrimp Alfredo Pasta with Scallops is a nice dish to try. A simpler dish that tastes as good is what I call Garlic Shrimp Pasta. All these dishes are certified awesome.
For the meantime, try this Baked Macaroni recipe. Happy cooking!
- 1 lb uncooked elbow macaroni
- >>Meat Sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 ½ cup diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 small onions, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 piece beef cube
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- >>Mornay Sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare the elbow macaroni according to instructions in the package and intentionally cut the cooking time so that the macaroni is not well done (the macaroni will be fully cooked once baked) then drain and set aside.
- Prepare the meat sauce by heating a cooking pot and melt-in the butter.
- When the butter is hot enough, add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until the color turns medium brown.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, and diced tomatoes then stir and simmer for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomato paste and paprika then stir and cook for a minute
- Add the beef cube and water then stir until everything is well distributed. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put-in the sugar, salt, and pepper then mix well. Turn of the heat and set aside.
- Prepare the Mornay sauce by melting the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the flour stir constantly for about a minute (color must be yellowish and not brown).
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cheeses and whisk until melted. Set aside
- Combine the cooked macaroni and meat sauce in a baking dish then toss until the meat sauce is well distributed.
- Arrange the macaroni and pour the Mornay sauce over it. (Spread the Mornay sauce over the macaroni and meat sauce mixture ensuring that every space is covered)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down a bit.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Baked Macaroni