Burger Steak or hamburger steak is a popular fast food menu in the Philippines. Flavorful burger patties (usually made from beef) are pan fried and topped with gravy and sliced button mushrooms.
Although this looks similar to Salisbury steak, there are some differences in the ingredients and composition which gives this dish the right to have a name of its own.
Even if this is not an authentic Filipino food, it has been well accepted and became part of the menu of most Filipinos. This might be attributed to the sheer marketing campaign of a well known fast food chain or simply because of its delicious taste.
Unlike others who serve mashed potato or macaroni and cheese, rice is the most popular side dish for this meal when you are in the Philippines.
What is it that you like most about burger steaks? Do you usually have this in your regular menu?
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 pack onion soup and dip mix (or ¼ cup condensed French onion soup)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 piece raw egg
- ¾ cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups KFC style gravy (recipe here)
- ¼ cup water (this is not needed if condensed French onion soup is used)
- Combine onion soup and dip mix with water and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine ground beef, salt, ground black pepper, mixture of water and onion soup and dip mix, breadcrumbs, and egg. Mix thoroughly to distribute the ingredients properly.
- Divide the mixture into individual serving pieces and create a burger patty with each piece. This can be done by rolling the mixture into balls and flatten them on an even surface.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet and put-in the patties. Cook each side for 3 to 3½ minutes. Continue doing this step until all of the patties are cooked. Set aside.
- Remove excess oil from the same frying pan or skillet where the patties were cooked.
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms for 2 minutes then add the gravy and stir. Cook the gravy for another minute.
- Transfer the burger patties to a serving plate and top with KFC style gravy with mushrooms.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!