Turkey Pot Pie is a type of baked pie encased with a flaky crust on top and bottom. This is somewhat similar to Chicken Pastel, although the later is only covered by a flaky crust on top. I made this pie out of the leftover turkey that we had for thanksgiving. Instead of refrigerating the turkey right away, I carved and diced the remaining meat and placed them in the freezer for future use.
Using leftovers to make a new dish is a good way to save money on food. It also feels good to know that nothing is wasted. A word of advice though: always make sure that whatever leftover that you are using is still in good condition before attempting to recycle.
What if you want to make Turkey Pot Pie and you don’t have any left over turkey? You wouldn’t roast a whole turkey just for this, would you? Chicken is the best alternative, if this is the case. Go boil or roast chicken and use it as an ingredient, then refer to it as “Chicken Pot Pie”.
Before I forget, I want to remind you to allot some time in making the pie crust. The crust might look simple, but it takes some time and effort to make one. I also posted the steps and details on How to Make a Flaky Double Crust Pie for your convenience.
Try this Turkey Pot Pie Recipe and send us your feedback.
- 2 cups turkey, pre-cooked and cubed
- 1 pastry for double crust pie
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 piece chicken bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a cooking pot then put-in ⅛ cup butter. Allow to melt.
- Add-in the onion, celery, and carrots then stir.
- Put-in the dried parsley, oregano, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and cook for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the chicken bouillon and water. Let boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in and simmer.
- While simmering the potatoes, melt the remaining butter in a separate pan.
- Put-in the turkey and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour and stir.
- Add milk, stir, and simmer for a minute.
- Combine the turkey mixture with the vegetables then stir. Simmer until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Turn-off heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the mixture on the pie crust. Cover with the second crust.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: