Tuna Roll can be done in many ways. There are versions wherein the nori covers the entire roll, while others are rolled in such a way that the nori stays inside – just like California roll.
The ingredients can also vary depending on the influence of the recipe: westernized recipes uses cucumber strips for additional texture. Aside from the famous wasabi paste, there are also different sauces that you can use depending on your preference. I placed some dynamite sauce on top of the sushi to give it an extra kick. Dynamite sauce is an orange colored creamy spicy sauce. If you like a Spicy Tuna Roll, try spreading dynamite sauce on top of it.
Dynamite sauce is easy to make. All you need to do is combine 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise with1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I find Sriracha brand the best) and a drop or 2 of sesame oil. Once all the ingredients are in place, all you have to do is mix them together.
Try this Tuna Sushi Roll recipe and let me know what you think.
Recipe: Tuna Sushi Roll
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 ounces fresh tuna, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 5 sheets nori (toasted seaweed)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (I use Sambal Oelek brand )
- 3 cups sushi rice, cooked
- 1/2 piece small cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons dynamite sauce
- 1 tablespoon Panko bread crumbs
- Wasabi paste
- Combine mayonnaise, sesame oil, and chili paste in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine vinegar with sushi rice, and mix well.
- Arrange a sheet of nori over a sushi roller. Scoop some sushi rice and press on the nori so that the rice will stick. Do this step until most of the toasted seaweed is evenly covered. See the California Roll video for more details.
- Flip the nori in such a way that the part with rice is facing down. Arrange the tuna slices and cucumber on top of the toasted seaweed.
- Spread a little wasabi paste over the tuna, and then start rolling with the help of a sushi roller. Note: try to push down a little as you roll the sushi to compress.
- Spread some dynamite sauce over the sushi and sprinkle some Panko breadcrumbs on top of the sauce.
- Slice the Sushi roll crosswise into 6 equal pieces.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with soy sauce and wasabe paste.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4