Rellenong Talong or Stuffed Eggplants is a delicious eggplant recipe. It is sort of a mixture of dry pork giniling and tortang talong. This dish is not that complicated at all. All you need to do is follow all the steps one-at-a-time to be able to get the expected result. There are a few tips that I wanted to share in order to ease the job. First, when you are done arranging the ground pork over the eggplants and poured the beaten egg mixture on the pork, you can scoop some hot oil from the pan over the ground pork; this will cook the egg a little bit and bind the meat together. It is important because it will prevent the meat from falling apart when being flipped. Secondly, you might want to use two spatulas when flipping the eggplant to ensure that the eggplant and meat will still be in one piece.
Try this Rellenong Talong (Stuffed Eggplant) Recipe and let me know what you think.
Rellenong Talong (Stuffed Eggplant) Recipe
- 2 pieces Chinese eggplant
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 3 pieces large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cooking oil plus 1 tablespoon extra
- Grill the eggplants until steam comes out (about 4 to 6 minutes per side).
- Remove the eggplants from the grill; let the temperature cool down; peel-off the skin and then set aside
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking in a pan.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and tomato
- Add the ground pork. Cook until color turns medium brown (about 8 to 10 minutes)
- Put-in soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ground black pepper. Stir; turn off heat, and then set aside.
- Add remaining salt with the beaten eggs and then beat once more.
- Dip the eggplants in the beaten egg mixture.
- Heat a clean pan and then pour-in 1/2 cup cooking oil.
- Put-in one egg plant. Scoop about half of the ground pork mixture and distribute on top of the eggplant
- Pour-in about 2 to 3 tablespoons of beaten egg mixture over the ground pork.
- Gently flip the egg (using 2 spatulas if possible) to cook the other side. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes in low to medium heat.
- Remove from the pan and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with banana ketchup and steamed rice.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 2