This tasty Pork Afritada is my third version of pork afritada that I am sharing with you. Since you guys are important to me, I always try to provide everyone with the very best recipes. My inspiration for this pork afritada recipe came from the chicken afritada that you guys loved.
The difference of this Pork Afritada Recipe from the previous versions is somewhat obvious: there are no carrots and bell peppers in this recipe; hotdogs and green peas were also added. I think that this dish is really amazing because I enjoyed it and was able to grab an extra cup rice, which is uncommon for me these days. Being individuals who know how to appreciate good food, I know that you will like this afritada recipe too.
The success of this recipe is on the meat. Like all stews, the pork should be really tender. You can do this by simmering the meat longer until it becomes really tender. This recipe makes use of beef broth. There are alternatives to beef broth that you can use such as 3 cups of water mixed with 1 beef or pork cube; adding 2 teaspoons of beef powder will work too. As for the hotdogs, you can use the traditional Filipino red hotdog, beef franks, or wieners.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 pieces hotdogs or wieners, sliced diagonally
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups frozen green peas
- 4 pieces potatoes, cleaned and quartered
- 2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 to 3 cups beef broth
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot or deep pan.
- Saute the garlic and onion when the oil becomes hot.
- Once the onion is soft, add the pork and cook until light brown (around 3 to 5 minutes).
- Pour-in the tomato sauce and beef broth. Stir. Let boil. Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until the pork becomes tender.
- Add the hotdogs and potatoes. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the green peas, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!