Ginataang alimasag with Malunggay was perfect for dinner tonight. Although the name of the dish did not include the butternut squash, this ingredient is still as important as the main ingredients. I thought that this dish was successful even if the preparation was really simple.
Preparing Ginataang alimasag with Malunggay is like cooking your traditional laing. You do not need to sauté the ingredients and there are no extra steps needed to complete the dish. All you have to do is combine most of ingredients with coconut mil and cream as it boils, and then add the rest one after the other – that’s all.
I used frozen small crabs, which I got, from the Korean store. I think that this recipe is worthy of Dungeness crabs, and I plan to use this ingredient one of these days. If you are fond of dishes cooked in coconut milk (especially crab) and you are on a diet, you can ignore me for a while. I don’t intend to tempt you, but I am sure that it will be hard for you to resist it.
Malunggay or Moringa is a type of vegetable with lots of health benefits. Get to know more on how healthy malunggay is and why you need to add this vegetable to your diet.
Try this Ginataang alimasag with Malunggay Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. medium crab, cleaned and sliced in half
- 1½ cup malunggay leaves
- ½ medium butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups (1can) coconut cream
- 2 cups (1 can) coconut cream
- ¼ cup ginger, sliced into thick strips
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- ¼ cup shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis), optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the coconut cream, coconut milk, onion, ginger, and garlic in a cooking pot. Let boil. cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp paste. Stir. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash. Stir, cover, and continue to cook for 12 minutes in low to medium heat.
- Put-in the ground black pepper. Stir.
- Add the malunggay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the crabs and long green chili. Stir and continue to cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add fish sauce, if needed.