Fruit Cocktail Float is a quick and easy dessert dish that you can whip-up anytime. It does not involve baking and it is so easy to make. I recommend this dish for beginners because of its simplicity. You should be able to make this dish without any issues as long as you follow our step by step recipe.
This dessert is similar to peach refrigerator cake, but only better.
Fruit cocktail float won’t be complete without canned fruit cocktail. I have to add Maraschino cherries because I noticed that most brands of canned fruit cocktail do not contain much cherries, contrary to the graphic displayed on the can. Sometimes, I think that it is deceiving to consumers, but this post is all about the recipe, so I will forget about my whining for now.
Note that I am using “heavy” whipping cream for this recipe. You will get better results if you follow the exact ingredients listed below. Regular whipping cream (not heavy) can still be used though, if heavy whipping cream is not available.
Use any brand of Graham crackers. You will need to crush a piece or two of them though and sprinkle on top later on. It is best to refrigerate longer for best results. If you want this to have the texture of ice cream sandwich, I suggest that you place it in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
Try this Fruit Cocktail Float recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 16 oz. (473 ml) cold heavy whipping cream
- 7.6 oz. (225 ml) table cream or all purpose cream
- 2 (15.25 oz.) cans of fruit cocktail
- 9 tablespoons condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 pieces Graham crackers
- 8 to 10 pieces Maraschino cherries
- 3 tablespoons crushed Graham
- Drain the fruit cocktail by pouring each can in a strainer. Set aside.
- Prepare the whipping cream mixture by pouring the heavy whipping cream in a mixing bowl. Whisk in medium speed using an electric mixer. Set to high speed after 2 minutes and continue to whisk until soft peaks form (around 5 more minutes).
- Stir-in the table cream, condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Continue to whisk for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Arrange a layer of Graham crackers at the bottom of a wide 8x8 baking pan.
- Pour-in half of the whipping cream mixture. Spread.
- Create another layer by adding half of the fruit cocktail. Spread.
- Make another layer of Graham crackers. Top with the remaining heavy cream mixture.
- Arrange the remaining fruit cocktail on top and add some cherries.
- Sprinkle the crushed Graham on top.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 5 hours. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!