Chicken Binakol is a delicious chicken soup dish. It is similar to Chicken Tinola, although the use of of coconut meat and coconut water makes this dish unique.
Traditional methods of cooking Chicken Binakol requires native chicken simmered for several hours. The meat of native chicken is tougher than regular dressed chicken, but it has more flavor. Simmering native chicken longer makes the meat tender and releases all the flavors.
Did you know that original chicken binakol is cooked in bamboo? It is said that cooking this dish in bamboo seals-in the flavor, but it is fine if you don’t have a bamboo to cook this with. You can always use your trusted cooking pots.
I like this dish because the flavors are balanced. The addition of coconut water and coconut meat adds sweetness.
There are two ways to add flavor to this dish if you are not using native chicken. The first is to use chicken broth — as written in this recipe. The second way is to use about 2 cups of rice washing and a piece of chicken bouillon. It is up to you to decide.
Try this Chicken Binakol Recipe and send us your feedback.
- 1 whole chicken about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs, cut into serving pieces
- 3 cups young coconut water
- 1 1/2 cups young coconut meat
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 small green papaya wedged
- 1 cup hot pepper leaves
- 4 stalks lemon grass cut in 1 inch length and pounded
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 knob ginger about 1 tablespoon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- Saute garlic when the oil is hot.
- Put-in onions, ginger, and lemon grass, and then cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken. Stir and cook until the color turns light brown (about 3 to 5 minutes)
- Add ground black pepper and fish sauce. Stir.
- Put-in the young coconut meat, young coconut water, and chicken broth. Allow to boil, and then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add the green papaya. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the hot pepper leaves and cook for a minute more.
- Turn the heat off, and then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: