Adobong Kangkong is a simple vegetable dish that is considered a staple in many Filipino homes. Water Spinach which is locally known as Kangkong is the main ingredient for this healthy Adobong Kangkong Recipe.
There are several varieties of Kangkong. In the Philippines, the most common variety is the wide-leaf ones; these are usually seen floating (if not intentionally grown) in watery areas. Another variety is the Chinese Spinach or Water Cabbage which is locally known as Chinese Kangkong. This Adobong Kangkong Recipe uses the Chinese variey because of availability reasons.
The preparation for this dish is very simple. Since Kangkong easily grows and multiplies in watery areas, we never know how clean (or dirty) they are when sold in the market. It is recommended to exert some time and effort in cleaning the vegetable before executing this Adobong Kangkong Recipe.
I usually add slices of pork to make this dish more flavorful – not a bad idea. After my latest trip to the Philippines, I learned that using lots of toasted garlic in making this dish makes it taste better while promoting better health.
There is another version of this dish that originated in the Visayas region which I would love you to try. It is called apan-apan.
Try this Adobong Kangkong recipe and let me know what you think.
Adobong Kangkong Recipe
This is a recipe for adobong kangkong. It is a Filipino vegetable dish wherein the water spinach is cooked inadobo style.
- 1 bunch water spinach kangkong, leaves separated and stalks chopped in 1 inch length
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup vinegar
- 1 head garlic crushed and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic then brown.
- Pour the soy sauce, vinegar, and water in the cooking pot and let boil.
- Add the Kangkong stalks and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper then stir.
- Add the Kangkong leaves and gently stir to mix with the other ingredients. Cook for 30 seconds at most.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with toasted garlic.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!