Adobong Manok sa Buko is simply Filipino chicken adobo cooked with young coconut juice. It can also be referred to as “Inadobong Manok sa Buko”. It is delicious with a well balanced flavor. I enjoyed having this dish for lunch.
Difference Between Young Coconut Juice and Coconut Milk
Young coconut Juice is different than coconut milk. It is transparent and has a sweet taste. It can easily be extracted from young coconut once cracked open.
Coconut milk, on the other hand, is derived from the meat of mature coconut. Extra effort is needed to produce it.
The meat from mature coconuts needs to be separated from the endocarp by scraping. There is a special tool that can scrape the meat while grating it at the same time. The grated meat is squeezed in order to extract coconut milk. This is the ingredient used to cook Adobong Manok sa Gata.
How to Cook Adobong Manok sa Buko
Anyone can easily cook this dish. the procedure is straightforward and easy to follow.
Start by marinating the chicken pieces in soy sauce and vinegar for at least 30 minutes. The longer the marinade time, the better. If you have extra time, I suggest doing it longer for best results.
This chicken adobo version makes use of onions. It helps make the dish taste even better. Start the cooking process by sautéing the onion and garlic. I like to have lots of garlic in my adobo.
Add the marinated chicken and saute until the color turns light brown. Pour the remaining marinade and add peppercorns and dried bay leaves.
I added the buko juice afterwards and let the entire mixture boil. I also place a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube to give it that solid chicken flavor. This ingredient really helps raise your chicken adobo up to the next level.
Continue cooking for 30 minutes. Add the chopped green onions last. Enjoy this with newly cooked rice.
Try this easy Adobong Manok sa Buko recipe. Let me know what you think.
Adobong Manok sa Buko
- 1 ½ lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 2 cups buko juice
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 4 pieces dried bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a bowl, combine chicken, soy sauce and vinegar. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute onion and garlic.
- Once onion softens, add marinated chicken. Saute until light brown.
- Pour remaining marinade, and then add whole peppercorn, dried bay leaves, and buko juice. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube. Stir. Adjust heat to between low to medium and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Add green onions. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Share and enjoy!